SSE Scottish Women’s Cup Semi Final: Glasgow City 5 Forfar Farmington 0

The SSE Scottish Women’s Cup run came to an end for Forfar Farmington at the semi final stage as they fell to a 5-0 defeat against Glasgow City.

Noelle Murray, Keeva Keenan, Abbi Grant, Joanne Paton and Megan Foley netted for City, giving the scoreline a more negative look than the Farmington performance warranted.

Mark Nisbet made three changes from last week’s win over Buchan with Nicola Davidson, Kirsty Deans and Alana Bruce replacing Megan McCarthy, Cheryl Kilcoyne and Leah White.

The game, held at Stirling Albion’s Forthbank, got off to a fast start with City taking the lead just three minutes in; Katie McCabe setting up Noelle Murray to curl home despite suspicions of offside.

Nicola Docherty fired over from 20 yards on the quarter hour mark with Farmington’s first chance coming four minutes later.

Julia Scott sent a cross into the box and despite it falling to Robyn Smith, she dragged her effort wide of the mark.

Carla Boyce skied a great chance over the bar from ten yards before Megan Foley nodded over from a Leanne Ross free kick just after the half hour mark.

City extended their lead in the 34th minute when Keeva Keenan rose highest to nod home a Ross set piece.

Joanne Paton fired wide after a great run forward while at the other end Lee Alexander just beat Danni McGinley to a Scott through ball.

Farmington were unlucky not to pull a goal back on the stroke of half time when Caroline Heron sent a 40 yard effort towards goal; Alexander having to do well to tip the ball over. Heron came close to meeting the resulting corner but City were able to clear the danger.

After half time, City had chances to add to their advantage through Murray and Boyce but neither could trouble McNicoll.

The keeper pulled off a great save in the 57th minute; Hayley Lauder slipping the ball to Jo Love and the midfielder’s fierce shot was expertly pushed away by McNicoll.

Two minutes later former Farmington winger Abbi Grant made it 3-0 with a great darting run towards goal before slipping it past the keeper.

Despite the scoreline, Farmington kept their heads up and almost pulled a goal back with Robyn Smith seeing her effort deflected away from goal just after the hour mark.

The game started to peter out following City’s third goal, with neither side creating much until the final quarter of an hour.

City sub Eilish McSorley sent a shot wide from distance and Grant sent a tame effort towards McNicoll but they added another in the 83rd minute.

Joanne Paton was fouled by Erin Cattanach just inside the box with the defender booked; Paton stepped up to fire the penalty past McNicoll.

As the game entered injury time, there was still time for City to make it 5-0 with Megan Foley slotting home from close range.

The scoreline was harsh on Mark Nisbet’s side but they can take positives from their performance as they focus on the final four league games, starting with next week’s potential championship decider against second place Motherwell.

Glasgow City: Lee Alexander (Erin Clachers 46), Jo Love, Leanne Crichton (Hayley Lauder 46), Noelle Murray (Lauren McMurchie 58), Nicola Docherty, Carla Boyce, Keeva Keenan, Leanne Ross (Eilish McSorley 46), Joanne Paton, Megan Foley, Katie McCabe (Abbi Grant 46)

Forfar Farmington: Fiona McNicoll, Gemma Collier, Erin Cattanach (Leah White 86), Danni McGinley (Laura Parsley 82), Robyn Smith (Beth Shillitto 70), Nicola Davidson (Cheryl Kilcoyne 61), Alana Bruce, Caroline Heron, Kirsty Deans (Alison Debio 82), Julia Scott, Kayleigh Brough

Subs not used: Kayleigh Noble, Chantelle McKay (gk)